Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sourdough Baking Wednesday : Roasted Hazelnuts and Prune Bread



This is really a wonderful wonderful recipe which comes from Bread from J. Hamelman. I really urge to try it because I simply cannot stop eating it !

The recipe calls for a stiff levain build and I used my stiff levain 12 hours after feeding him.

RECIPE ( 2 large loaves)


Stiff levain build :

bread flour 6.4 oz

water 3.8 oz

mature culture 1.3 oz

Final dough :

bread flour 1lb, 1.6 oz

whole-wheat flour 8 oz

water 1lb, 1.3 oz

butter, soft 1.6 oz

salt .6 oz (1T)

yeast .17 oz, instant dry (1 1/2 tsp)

levain 10.2 oz (all less 2 T + 1 tsp)

hazelnuts (roasted and skinned) 4 oz

dried prunes, coarsely chopped (I used figs in this recipe) 4 oz

1. Make the final build approx 12 hours before the final mix.

2. Add all ingredients to the mixing bowl, except hazelnuts and prunes (fig). Mix on first speed for 3 mins, Turn the mixer to second speed and mix for approx 3 mins more, to moderate gluten development. Add the nuts and prunes (fig) and mix on first speed just until they are evenly incorporated.

3. Bulk fermentaion 1-1.5 hrs

4 Fold after 45 mins.

5.Divide the dough into 1.5 pound pcs, and final proof fir 1 hr.

6. Bake with normal steam at 460f for 40-45 mins. Lower th oven temp to 420f after 15 mins to avoid excessive browning due to the prunes .


Mando questa ricetta a Zucchero & Cannella, é un pane veramente squisito che vi straconsiglio !! Come al solito se non funziona il traduttore Google fatemelo sapere !!

8 comments:

ஃPROVARE PER GUSTAREஃ di ஜиαтαℓια e ριиαஓ said...

che buono questo pane!!
kiss
Pina

Lori said...

I love hazelnuts- I bet this bread is delicious. I imagine I could not stop eating it either.

Dewi said...

Hazelnut, my husband will go crazy if I make this bread. It is his favorite nut!

Unknown said...

This bread looks delicious! What is "mature culture"? I'm not sure I can get this.

Cakelaw said...

One word - YUM!!

Leslie said...

I wouldn't be able to resist this bread! It looks wonderful!

Heather S-G said...

Just look at the fruit and nuts studding that loaf...gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

My oh my, hazelnuts & prunes? Delicious! I'd eat it all myself!