Friday, October 16, 2009

World Bread Day '09: Sourdough Cornetti


Today is the World Bread Day and I thought to post about these sweet buns shaped like croissants or cornetti as we call them in Rome (brioche in Milan and so on) I don't want to sound as Marie Antoinette though ! I wish in the future having a daily meal will not be a problem for anyone.
In Rome the typical breakfast you get in a Bar (coffe shop) is 'cappuccino e cornetto' the latter being a sweet croissant that obviously has as many versions as the Bars.
I found this great recipe using sourdough in the blog la buona cucina. You shouldn't expect a french style croissant because this recipe is much leaner, but I really liked them plain or with some filling.


I bake an entire batch and freeze the 'leftovers' so that even a monday morning can start with a smile !!



Recipe
350 sourdough
150 gr milk
100 gr sugar (I doubled it)
1 large egg ( I doubled it)
1 Tbs barley malt
400 to 450 gr flour
50 gr butter (I doubled it)
1/2 tsp salt

I worked all the ingredients together let it rise until doubled, cut the dough in half, rolled each half in a circle, cut eight triangles , rolled them up from the large end ( I filled some with chocolate or jam) let them rise again and baked them in a warm oven (350°) until ready, about 15, 20 minutes. Easy, light and yummy !!!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, looks wonderful!!! :)

Anonymous said...

wow!!!che buoni devono essere!
Ciao V

Ivy said...

They look wonderful and certainly must be healthier than croissants. I baked a bread today and will post it tomorrow.

Jennifer said...

OKay, I don't know much Italian...but I can at least say this...

"MOLTO BUENO!" "BELLISMA!"

Nice job, Natalia!!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Zhose must taste really wondeful! An interesting recipe...

Cheers,

Rosa

Shandy said...

Oh My Goodness! These looks absolutely delicious! I have made homemade croissants and I love the look and quickness of this recipe. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Happy World Bread Day! Your cornetti look beautiful.

enza said...

ma cominci con un sorriso grande così se hai questi cornetti tra le mani

Lien said...

What a lovely choice these cornetti, love to eat them in italy. Well here too, but they don't count for breakfast here.
Love them with crema. Yummy

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Bravo for World Bread Day! Your cornetti look delicious; I'd like that version better than French ones. Especially with jam - yum!

Unknown said...

Yum! These look delicious! They're perfect for World Bread Day :)

Barbara said...

Ciao Natalia, era tanto che non passavo da quie... quante cose mi sono persa! Devo rimediare subito! ;-)
Un bacio!

Antonella said...

Ottimi questi cornetti....mi piacerebbe trovarne uno caldo domani mattina ;))
Ti ho risposto da me per fb....per qualsiasi cosa, eventualmente fammi sapere ;))
Bacioni

vibi said...

Eh! eh! So cute and so mini... love the world cornetti! I feel like I'm traveling when I come to your blog!

Dewi said...

Very beautiful bread Natalia. Love the shapes.

Anna maria said...

bellissime ti sono venute, compimenti!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Great idea to shape them as croissants! Brava!

zorra said...

These look awesome and I'm sure they are delicious!

Thank you for your participation in World Bread Day 2009. Yes you baked! :-)