Jamie Oliver’s Favorite Curry Sauce – Chicken Version
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (I didn't find them)
- 3 fresh green chillies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 handful of curry leaves (I didn't find them either)
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 tomatoes, chopped (I used one large can tomatoes)
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2 inch strips ( I've used the upper thighs)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
Heat the oil in a pan, and when hot add the mustard seeds. Wait for them to pop, then add the fenugreek seeds (or don’t), fresh green chillies, curry leaves (or not) and ginger. Stir and fry for a few minutes. Using a food processor, chop the onions and add to the same pan. Continue to cook for 5 minutes until the onion is light brown and soft, then add the chili powder and turmeric. Using the same food processor, pulse the tomatoes and add these to the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add 1 or 2 wine glasses of water and the coconut milk. Simmer for about 5 minutes until it has the consistency of double cream, then season carefully with salt.
Stir-fry the chicken strips and coriander seeds until lightly colored, then add your sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve with steamed basmati rice.