Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Heart Cooking Clubs : Curry in a Hurry



As you can see even if it is Potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs I couldn't leave Thailand !!
This chicken was in a hurry even to photograph !!
The recipe is fantasic :Nigella makes it with frozen vegetables but I used pumpkin and cauliflower from my veggie box.
This curry is super easy and fast: if you have coconut milk, fish sauce and curry paste in your pantry you are set !
Last week I saw the basmati Mary made so I accompanied the chicken with it.
It was such a success we are lucky I got one picture of it !!

INGREDIENTS

2 x 15ml tablespoons wok oil
3 x 15ml tablespoons spring onions, finely chopped
3–4 x 15ml tablespoons green Thai curry paste
1kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into strips about 4 x 2cm
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
250ml boiling water
enough chicken stock concentrate or cube for 500ml water
1 x 15ml tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
185g frozen peas
200g frozen soya beans
150g frozen fine beans
3 x 15ml tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
METHOD

1.Heat the wok oil in a large saucepan that owns a lid, drop in the spring onions and cook, stirring for a minute or two, then add the curry paste.
2.Add the chicken pieces and keep turning over heat for 2 minutes, before adding the coconut milk, stock (i.e. the water plus stock concentrate or cube) and fish sauce, then the frozen peas and soya beans.
3.Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the frozen fine beans to the mix and cook for another 3–5 minutes.
4.Serve with rice or noodles, sprinkling the coriander over as you do so. Put out a plate of lime wedges for people to squeeze over as they eat.
ADDITIONAL INFO

If you want to make this with fresh vegetables rather than frozen, then up the water (keeping the amount of stock concentrate the same) and indeed I would double it to 500ml. But if using frozen – which is how I make this 99% of the time, and why it is a great storecupboard standby – I find it easier to use a cappuccino cup, or similar, and measure out 1 1/2 cups of each frozen green veg rather than weigh it. The chicken comes in packets, so that just keeps everything simple and straightforward.

16 comments:

NKP said...

Yum! I love Thai curry and also made one this week! Great minds think alike. :)

Jennifer said...

This looks delicious! I LOVE Nigella recipes!

Dewi said...

Nice rhyme Natalia. Curry in a hurry, delicious!

Federica Simoni said...

ciao!!! che buono!!! ho l'acquolina!!

Michelle said...

Yummy and the touch of lime sounds just perfect!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Ciao Natalia, Come stai? Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comment. Looks like we are in two groups together (I Heart Cooking and The Cake Slice Bakers!). I will begin following you now that I've met you and have added your link to my side bar. I have something to give you over my blog, if you'd like to stop back over. I really like your blog and am very impressed! Amore, Roz

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh this is a fantastic thai curry i agree and ur single lovely pic and describtion and had us drooling allright!!!!

Marthe said...

Yum! I love curry but hardly ever make it, I might give this one a try though!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never had Thai curry.

Lara said...

Ive never had Thai curry either, but it looks delicious.

Michelle said...

I need to make more curry dishes and this recipe looks like a good start!

Jamie said...

Delicious! Love curry and this looks like a great mid-week meal!

Sook said...

I Love anything curry! I can never have too much curry. This recipe looks great!

Cakelaw said...

I love a good curry, and this looks scrummy.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Another one I had marked to try--I love anything Thai-flavored. It looks wonderful!

rosasdolcevita said...

This sounds soooo yummy! I would skip the coriander, though. :-)