Sunday, March 1, 2009

Recipes to Rival Let's make Cheese !



As I thought I wasn't partecipating in enough groups I joined a wonderful group born from a few Daring Bakers wanting some savoury challenges in their lifes.
This month Lauren chose ricotta making and each one could choose a savoury dish to make with it .
I chose Gnudi that means naked (nudi) in Tuscan dialect. They are like ravioli without the pasta clothing. The only problem I have now is how to tell you that we were so anxious to eat them that I didn't take a photo !! So you'll have to trust my words for it : they were great !!

The recipe:

500 gr ricotta
500 gr cooked spinach or squash (water squeezed out) (traditionally they are made with nettles)
100 gr grated Parmigiano
1 egg (I used all whites leftovers)
1 Tblsp breadcrumbs
nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste



First thing cook your selected vegetable : quickly stir fry the spinach with a little salt and garlic, squeeze out the water and chop finely. If you are using squash cook it in the oven and squeeze the water out and chop finely.
Combine with the other ingredients and let it rest it in the fridge for about an hour.
Make some small balls without adding extra flour and cook in boiling water (like gnocchi) until they appear on top.
In a small saucepan melt butter and some sage and pour it on the gnudi along with some Parmigiano.

22 comments:

Lucy..♥ said...

Natalia, your ricotta looks amazing & surely must taste as good!

Miette said...

You mande a very appetizing dish, one more time ! It is all right if there is no picture !

Cheers,

Miette

Heather B said...

Great job on your ricotta! Welcome to the group!

Dewi said...

Natalia, this is very impressive. I never made my own cheese. I should probably try to make it too. Anything home made is always my preference, I think it just taste way better then the commercial product.
Well done dear, look so scrumptious and absolutely tempting. Really!
Cheers,
Elra

NKP said...

Great job Natalia!
I have never had gnudi before, sounds great!

Lori said...

Great job on your first challenge. I love th nudi!

Francesca said...

interessante la bollitura in acqua come gli gnocchi evitando di friggere. Grazie ancora per i pdf che mi hai mandato sui calzini, ma per ora non li farò visto che la bimba nascere a metà giugno. Credo che mi ci dedicherò dopo l'estate sicuramente. Buon inizio di settimana!

FrancescaV

Elyse said...

They sound delicious! Anytime a dish is so good that there's no time for a photo, you know it's a recipe worth making. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Is there anything you don't do? You're amazing!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Love the ricotta and the gnudi!
Nancy

Angry Asian said...

wasn't making the ricotta cheese so simple and easy!

i have the problem of consuming my food before whipping out the camera sometimes. from the sounds of it, you can hardly be at fault this time! :) the gundi sounds wonderful!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

;) no photos ;)
Is this on the table for lunch? I can come early. Nothing beats fresh home made ricotta.

Ivy said...

Great job Natalia. Your nudi sound very sexy, I mean delicious.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, I still have to make my own ricotta! Fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa

♥Rosie♥ said...

WOW you made your own ricotta!! It looks amazing Natalia.

Rosie x

Temperance said...

the Gnudi sounds great, I have a feeling I will be trying it soon. I know I would have more posts if I could keep from eating the evidence first. great job!

Anonymous said...

The gnuddi sound yummy and look great. And homemade ricotta! You rock!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Fantastico! Ricotta is a favorite of ours. Can't wait to give it a try!

Cathy said...

Natalia, this looks incredible -- I am so impressed! I am so eager to try this!

Maria♥ said...

Wow, Natalia your ricotta looks delish. Buonissimo!!

Please pass by my blog and collect an award ;o)

Maria
x

evelyne said...

Gnudi should be delicious! but now you should explain us the way to make ricotta!!!

Lien said...

Wonderful recipe, I want to taste them! Did you ever had them with the nettles, and how were they? I love ricotta!!